Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
- 5 lbs. chuck roast, cut into 4 chunks and seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder
- Tbsp. oil, I used Canola
- 1 cup beef broth
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp., plus 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 bay leaves
- Place in a blender beef broth, chipotle peppers, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, ground cloves and lime juice. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot on and use the sauté function on med-high setting. Add oil, and once heated add your seasoned meat and brown on all sides, about 3-min. each side. Once browned, turn off the Instant pot, and transfer meat to a plate. Add ¼ cup water to the pot to loosen those yummy bits left from the meat. Put meat back into pot and add the mixture from the blender and add the bay leaves.
- Turn on your Instant Pot and set to manual, high for 45 minutes and close the valve. Once the time is done allow to natural release for 10 minutes.
- When the time as elapsed, carefully turn the vent to open and allow steam to release. When steam has stopped, open and take two forks and see if the meat is easy to shred (fork-tender.) If not, repeat the process for an additional 10 minutes and test again. Once the meat is fully cooked, shred and keep warm until ready to use.
*If you don’t have limes, you can substitute with 1/4 cup lime juice. *I used a 7 oz. can of chipotle chilies, I froze the leftover for another use. Use less peppers if you don’t like spicy food.