This is one of my favorite dishes. I love the tender-crisp vegetables. The warm whole tomatoes pop in your mouth and bring a freshness to the dish. It’s so good! In this recipe I used the tomatoes we grew in our garden.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks (about 1 inch)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 10 oz. pkg. cherry tomatoes
- 1 large onion (yellow or red), cut into bite size chunks (about 1 inch) *
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks (about 1 inch)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks (about 1 inch)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Thai chili pepper, chopped (optional)**
- 1 – 24oz. jar marinara sauce (I used Bertolli)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant pot to med-high on the sauté function and add oil. Once heated add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- To the same pot add the onion, garlic, bell peppers and cook until onions are translucent, or tender crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Add the jar of marinara, and Thai chili pepper if using. Turn your pot to med-low and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. ***
- Add the tomatoes and cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until the tomatoes are warm and popping. **** Remove the Thai pepper and do a taste test. Add pepper and salt to your liking.
*I used both yellow and red onion for a pop of color, but it’s not necessary.
**If you don’t have a Thai pepper, you can used ½ a jalapeno. If you don’t like spicy food, you can remove the hot pepper all together.
***Always check your chicken to make sure it is cooked thoroughly! With a meat thermometer, check to make sure it is 165℉.
****I love warm tomatoes. I try to allow a few to pop, while keeping some whole.