My boys are married and no longer living at home, but whenever I see them, they insist, I make my smothered burritos, and man can they put them down. This recipe is easy to do and if you have a larger crowd, it’s easy to double or triple the batch. These are very filling and delicious too!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 can refried beans, regular or spicy
- 1 (1.5 oz.) pkg. McCormick Enchilada Sauce (seasoning in a packet)
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce (used in the enchilada sauce)
- 2 cups water (to be used in the enchilada sauce)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar, or Mexican mix
- ½ cup sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Make enchilada sauce according to package directions, but instead of 1 ½ cups of water you will use 2 cups water.
- Heat skillet to medium high and add ground beef, garlic, salt, and pepper. Crumble the ground beef while cooking. Small bite size pieces are what you are looking for. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Once cooked, drain and place in a medium size bowl.
- Place the refried beans into a microwave safe cooking dish, and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, chopped onion, and 1/4 cup sauce to the ground beef mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add enough sauce to cover the bottom (about a ¼ cup) of an 8×8 baking dish.
- Take 1 tortilla, lay it flat, and add 2-3 Tbsp. of meat/bean mixture. Spread evenly, top with a little cheese and roll like an enchilada. Place the burrito into the baking dish and continue this process until ingredients are used. *
- Top with additional cheese and bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly,
- Allow burritos to stand 5 – 10 minutes. Then top with a little sour cream and serve.
*Depending on how much filling you use, you may have extra ingredients. When I have leftover meat/bean mixture I use it to make fried burritos the next day.
3 thoughts on “Easy Smothered Burritos”
This is a very tasy recipe. I can understand why it is a family favorite.
LikeLiked by 1 person
And so filling. Teenage boys never get full so it seems. But these burritos always did the trick. Have a beautiful day!