I am not a sweets kinda girl, but these apple fritters won me over. Warm apples surrounded by warm dough topped with a delicious glaze I am all in.
- 1 ½ cups peeled and cored apples cut into a small dice (I used Gala)
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- ¼ cup, plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sparkling apple cider
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 Tbsp. milk
Directions for fritters:
- Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a skillet on med-high. Add apples and sauté for 2 minutes, or until apples are slightly brown and softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to med-high.
- To a medium size bowl add the egg, sparkling cider, ¼ cup sugar, whisk to combine. Stir in apples with butter and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Drop 2 heaping Tbsp. batter into hot oil and mash slightly with a for to expand the batter. Fry until golden brown about 2 minutes per side.
Directions for glaze:
- To a small saucepot add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 4 Tbsp milk. Stir to combine and heat until warm. Drizzle over freshly fried fritters, then serve.